Here are 6 Lessons Learned from my Bike Crash / Accident and what to do and NOT do during the first 30 days after an accident.
- Wait at least 30 days before you decide to sell all your bikes, tri gear, wetsuit, and jerseys on Craigslist. Do throw away your helmet.
- Do what you can do: walk, hike, swim – stay active.
- Talk to your friends. Talk about the accident and get it out of your head. When people stop oh my goshing’ing and their eyes start to glaze over, find the next friend to talk to.
- It’s okay to unfollow and unlike social media related to biking and triathlon, for the first 30 days.
- Be thankful for what you can do. Be very thankful even if it’s so small like being able to walk the dogs without help.
- Reflect on past accomplishments and future goals but do not make plans that can’t be undone in the first 30 days.
I may or may not have done all or some of these things.
And, I appreciate all my friends who listened to me and understood.