Wednesday, January 18, 2012

I am reading A Moveable Feast by Ernest Hemingway. While I’ve never been a fan of Hemingway I love reading him now. I think I read his fiction in high school but I don’t remember his books.
Since watching Midnight in Paris I want to read about Hemingway and the Fitzgeralds, and their time in Paris.
Thus, I am reading A Moveable Feast - a book about his time in Paris in the 20s. I really like his tales of writing in cafes and walking the streets of Paris. He tells readers at the beginning of the book that he doesn't remember everything exactly (he's writing this towards the end of his life) and there is a chance there is some fiction in it.
He admits he is still learning the writing craft.
He writes,

"All you have to do is write one true sentence. Write the truest sentence that you know.”
And

“I knew too that I must write a novel. I would put it off though until I could not help doing it."

and
"What did I know best that I had not written about and lost?
What did I know about truly and care for the most? There was no choice at all.”  

I’m going to read The Sun Also Rises next.

No comments:

Post a Comment