Monday, May 9, 2016

Ironman St. George Race Report, racing in adverse conditions

This 70.3 triathlon was the hardest race to date.

Tough swim, choppy!
Unlike the day before seen here:

Cold, windy, almost hypothermic on the bike. It rained 90% of the time. Hills were killer.
With so many hills, chip n seal and constant rain, I was in survival mode. The temperature never got above 55 degrees until late afternoon when the race was over.

I felt pretty good on the run (once my feet thawed), I walked minimally, which is good for me.  I think the altitude change and always running hills helped, a lot.
Until this weekend I don’t think I’ve ever raced in constant rain.

I was 4 minutes faster than 2014 but my teammate, Collin said that the run course in 2014 was only 12.1 miles according to his GPS. This year it was 13.1.

This race was a mental test throughout; training and racing in adverse conditions seems to be the theme of 2016.
2016 Results:
Swim: 46:27
Bike: 3:35
Run: 2:19
Time: 6:55
Division Rank: 40

2014 Results:
Swim: 49:00
Bike: 3:29
Run: 2:31
Time: 6:59
Division Rank: 65


Starting Sunday, I’m in full-time Ironman Lake Placid training mode.

A big thank you to my Ironman racing partner, Mark Nash:
Team Lodge and Nash after IM St. George
And to my awesome Triple Threat Triathlon teammate Collin:
Pre-Race photo

Here is the official video. The weather and hills didn't seem to bother the pros:


No comments:

Post a Comment